Thursday, February 4, 2010

Day 4-Me and Amelie

Today I watched movies. That's really about it. I caught a little bit of Step Brothers and a good portion of Forgetting Sarah Marshall. Later in the evening I watched one of the alltime best movies ever, The Graduate. After renting Away We Go and only watching part of it, I entered into a conversation with Krystina (and later with Gregs) about babies, which led to a conversation about me being single, which led to dating advice.

Dating advice doesn't work for me. It makes me anxious and antsy and a little bit self-loathing. I hate to admit this, but it's true. So then I sat around and moped for a bit and had the realization that I was feeling for myself the way Audrey Tatou's character does in Amelie. You know, that scene where she dies alone at the age of 23 without anybody to love... just a bunch of people whose lives she tried to make better anonymously? Well, I will admit that I don't do as much for people as Amelie does, but I kinda feel that scene. I don't quite think anybody wants to die alone.

So I popped in Amelie. And I'll tell you, everything about that movie works for me. I like that they label Amelie as a dreamer more than a loner. I like that Amelie gets angry at Monsieur Dufayel for trying to give her romantic advice. I love that she doesn't initially call Nino, it would be "a reality check, something she does not want." I love that the way she goes about courting Nino is actually kind of creepy, but it's just her way of doing things.

I understand Amelie. But alas, my life is not a movie. I am a 23-year-old waitress, but Rittenhouse is hardly Monmarte and I am hardly Audrey Tatou. However, I'm almost positive that there's a Nino out there. Maybe I just have to start hanging around photo booths...

If I find him in the next 496 days I'll be sure to let you know. Until then... I'll just see you tomorrow.

1 comment:

KMK said...

friend, there is a photo booth at El Vez....
and margaritas. and men. who will have margaritas that you can lick the salt off.....can you say conversation starter....


on a totally separate note i used to think that blogger used to be trying to make me feel dumb by using serious Logophile shit with their word verification.... however upon googling today, i have learned that "shalsist" is just nonsense..... thanks blogger