Friday, February 19, 2010

Day 19- A Recap of Night 18

Last night I did something that I don't believe I've ever done before.

I went to dinner by myself.

I know I've had lunch alone before and I've sat at a bar and had drinks by myself (is that the sign of a problem? maybe). But I've never gone out to a restaurant where I didn't know anybody, sat my little self down, and eaten alone. That is, before last night.

I went to a little place right off Rittenhouse Square called Friday, Saturday, Sunday. No idea why it boasts this name as it's open seven days a week. And it was pretty good, I must say.

There was one major dilemma that occurred to me as I prepared to make my way out. You see, when dining alone, I feel that perhaps it is more appropriate to sit at the bar. But I have this weird belief that sitting at a bar for dinner and not ordering an alcoholic beverage is a bit strange. And remember, gentle reader, that this girl has sworn off the devil's drink until April 4. So I had to choose, sit alone at a table (which makes me a little more uncomfortable than being at the bar) or sit at the bar sans drink.

The layout of Friday, Saturday, Sunday made this choice relatively easy. I haven't been upstairs, but the downstairs had many deuces open, so I snagged one for myself. Immediately after I walked in, another gentleman sat alone as well. This made me feel somewhat less awkward.

Still not one to find this notion of dining alone completely enjoyable, I pulled out my handy green notebook and wrote as I waited for my food, and a little as I dined. Krystina told me that this restaurant boasted the best mushroom soup in town. I also read a yelp! review that said something similar. So I tried it. And it was delicious.

Next I had the petite filet, and it was yummy. I figured that after a bowl of soup, I didn't need the big filet, and I was right. On the side were potatoes gratin (not my favorite, which was nice, because I got to skip the extra carbs) and some sauteed squash and zucchini (one of my favorites- yum!).

Before looking at the dessert menu, I told myself that if they had tiramisu, I would order it. They had tiramisu. I did not order it. I had already had, after all a rich bowl of soup and a delicious steak. Who needs dessert after that? Coffee sufficed quite well.

And now a short note on coffee. I drank a full cup at just before 10 p.m. I went to bed at 11:30. Is that natural? Am I supposed to stay awake longer after that? Is my body so immune to caffeine that it just doesn't register when I take it in? Maybe I should have given up that for Lent. But to be honest, I think alcohol is hard enough. Rob me of my two favorite drinkstuffs, and I'll just be sad.

Come back tomorrow to hear about my new diet.

No comments: