Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Will the real bon mot please stand up?

This blog will be short, I promise. I need my sleep.

Here goes, the simple truth: I'm really excited about this semester. Except for statistics, which I've been avoiding by switching in and out of different sections so as to try to get the best professor possible (tomorrow will be my first time actually in the classroom), I really love the classes I'm in.

I think this is due to the professors. Everybody is so passionate. And it's almost contagious.

I just realized as I lay in bed that I was reciting French verb conjugations in my head just in case I do not have time to study them after work tomorrow. Then I realized something frightening. While many of my classes are just as foreign to my fellow students as they are to me, French is not going to be one of those classes. Most of the people in my section have had three to four years in high school. I do not think my 10 week after-school program in the 4th grade and a semester of 101 a year ago is going to put me at much of an advantage.

I will say that I am taking French purely as an elective. Mostly it is because I might like to be able to actually read some of the awesome French philosophers that I've become acquainted with in the past year in their native tongue. Partly it is also because I want to understand everybody in the entire world (at least what they are saying) and French is as good a place to start as any. Also, a tiny bit, it is because I used to live with a completely gorgeous French man and I figure that if my old roommate can go abroad for a semester and snag a fabulous man, maybe I ought to start looking for love in new lands, too.

Tangent aside, let's get to the present. (Or the very recent past, at least.) I had a panic attack right in my little bed and shot up as quick as an arrow. What if I do poorly in French? What if I can't remember anything? Merde! To fix this problem, I am going to do what they always used to do on episodes of TGIF shows. I am going to record my lessons and listen to them while I sleep. Then again, I thought, I bet somebody has already done this.

Here I would like to thank technology. Particularly the mac fellows. Sure there are mp3 players other than the iPod. Sure, I could probably find torrents of French lessons on various websites all over the Internet. But you, mac, you made your podcasts so readily available that I have to do virtually no work in order to get these lessons. In fact, all I have to do is sit and blog while I wait for the downloads.

And the downloads ought to take a while. I am getting not one, not two, but seven hundred seventy two French instruction episodes downloaded to my computer. So far... only 29 have downloaded.

Mon dieu, this could take a while.

No comments: