Sunday, April 19, 2009

On Being a Cool Kid

Blogging is, undoubtedly, one of the nerdier things that I do with myself. Now, that doesn't mean that in the interim time between my last blog and now (far too long, I know, I am severely neglectful) that I have become any cooler than I ever was. I have not. I am still a nerd. Not blogging has not improved my cool-factor in any noticeable way.

I have been doing much of the same lately. Going to class. Going to work. Watching tv online. The things that, to be honest, I've been doing for 4 years now. Oh, I've also been having minor freak-out sessions every time I realize that I've been in college for 4 years now and come May 9, I will have walked across the Cistern Yard and will be one of them thar college graduates.

But this is not one of those posts about that. This is a post about me being cooler! I know, I did say that I hadn't gotten any cooler in any noticeable way since not blogging. But I have gotten cooler since about 20 minutes ago. You know why?

I got a SIGG water bottle. And trust me, I know that makes me cooler. I first noticed this particular brand of water bottle last year when one of my hipper/more-environmentally-conscious-and-thus-way-more-vogue than I professors carried it around. And then this semester another professor. And then students. And then one was even brought into our home.

I've been wondering all the time where these beauties (they're not really that beautiful...) were bought and if, upon buying one, you got admittance into some secret society meeting on how to make other people feel like they are less-environmentally-conscious-and-thus-way-less-vogue than you are without saying so out loud.

With the $21 dollar price tag, I figured I'd paid my membership dues. So when's the first meeting? You know what, I don't even need to attend the meeting. My bottle is meeting enough. That's the joy of it. Because I didn't want to have the same bottles as my professors and because I didn't want to get one of the little baby sized ones, I settled for a white one that says in obnoxiously large letters "SIMPLY ECOLOGICAL." It may as well say "I'M SIMPLY WAY MORE AWESOME THAN YOU ARE." But it doesn't. Explicitly. I will have you know that there were even more elitist ones that said "YOU ARE WHAT YOU DRINK, DON'T BE PLASTIC."

I feel confident in my non-assholeness because I opted not to get the one that hit you right over the head with its eco-dogmatism.

No comments: